Thursday, January 3, 2013

Letting it all sink in

Finally adjusted to the opposite side of the globe after a few car sicknesses and a jetlag fever.  This country is amazing in so many ways.  The scenery, the people,  and the culture are all fascinating.  The first few days of the trip have all kind of blended together because it was "go-go-go", but now we have had our first chance at free time.

The day trips that we have been taking have really reflected the purpose of the course, those being Buddhism, Addiction and Power.  The day that we visited Wat Tham Kabrok, which is a drug treatment center located about 130 km north of Bangkok.  This treatment center has a very unique way of detoxifying the body.  The patients are given a "potion" every morning, followed by chugging a bucket of water that forces their body to vomit until they have gotten to the pit of their stomach.  This must be done for at least the first 5 days of treatment.  The physical detoxification is only 5% of the detox process, the other 95% is up to the client themself, that being coming to terms of how they got to the situation they were in, and how to maintain the will power to stay sober.

This is one of the Monks that was in charge at this treatment facility.  Their happiness and serenity was contagious, and yes, he is as happy as he looks.



I spent a majority of my time talking to a man at this treatment center from Austrailia that had been addicted to Meth for 7 years.  He had only been sober from Meth for 4 days when I had spoken to him, and he told me that even the thought of going back to doing Meth was related back to violently puking and taking the "potion" and just made him feel sick at the thought of going back to it.  He told me that power was very important in the process, which I thought was interesting because that was an aspect from our class.  He told me that nothing should have a power over you.  He was completely controlled and powerless to Meth, it controlled his life, money, relationships, jobs, everything.  "Nothing should have power over you, except yourself." was said to me by the patient I was talking to. Only you should have power over yourself.  He said because he has realized this and overcome the fact of being powerless to himself, that it will keep him sober. 

Another form of power that I, myself have experienced on this trip was this morning.  We sat and meditated in class today for 30 minutes and it was the first time that I was actually able to do it.  After what that man at Wat Tham Krobak about having power over myself I was able to have power to control where my mind was wandering to, and bring it back to really focusing on my breathing.  This was kind of an important part in this trip because it was a skill that I was really hoping to aquire.  I think this may be because we are finally at a spot in the trip where we have some free time and it hasn't been as hectic today as it was for the first couple of days on the trip which allowed me to be more relaxed and had less on my mind.  

Before this trip, I was confused at how I would be connected Power within experiences and interactions here, but it has been almost the easiest aspect of class to relate to.  Because 85% of the population in Thailand is Buddhist, that is seen and noticed almost everywhere we go.  In the street markets, or through artwork, or temples throughout the city, a signifier of Buddhism is almost everywhere you look. 



I am part of group within this class that focuses on Therapy and Personal Growth. Wat Tham Krobak, was also a huge area that focused on personal growth.  Hearing the story from the man that I spoke with, about his background, his story, and how much the experience of putting himself through that type of therapy has changed him, was very cool. Although I didn't literally see his personal change, the way he spoke of himself before the treatment, and how he thought of himself and his using even just 6 days after being Meth free, it was made obvious that as a person and he had made a lot of positive personal change.  And after talking to other people from my group that had spoken to other patients, it sounded as though personal growth was a huge topic that was discussed.  The way of therapy and healing was different from most places in the United States by first being that most of the patients at this place had been willing to, and/or admitted themselves into the treatment center.  The treatment starts with a physical detoxification, which is the "potion" that is drank for the first 5 days that will make the body purge any toxins and speed up the physical detox process. Next, it offers assistance and support in the process of the "mental detoxification".  This includes a vow, called the "Sajja", as well as a tool to build up one's will power, called the "kahtah".  Meditation is another important aspect in mental detoxification, as it provides tranquility and fortification. This place also offers a special location away from one's familiar surroundings which usually trigger relapse, or use in general.  


Although this whole trip has been unbelievably amazing, it is obvious through this blog post that the day visiting Wat Tham Krobak treatment center was one that really stuck out to me and the topics that interested me or were relevant to this course.  

More to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment